Monday, November 3, 2008

DC

hehe
"Equilibrium in organisms? Equilibrium in life is death!" (except even when you die you decay =P)

So...I'm happier this week...not really sure why. A lot of stuff is gonna happen this week and it could all go badly but I started the week in an interesting way. I got to hear a recap of the think-tank in Washington DC on cancer research. Yep...that's under my list of things that make me happy...yay nerdiness. My research professor was sent there to hear a panel discussion on the current difficulties in cancer research. It was "unique" according to him as there were all types (nuclear physicists to philosophers)...but thats the purpose of a think tank after all. One sad thing they realized is that a lot of the current research is probably gonna lead nowhere. People are trying to view cancer as though it is a definable system but its properties are more like that of thought. You could define what neurons are and what electrical and chemical signals are but you still haven't defined thought. You know...the whole..."whole is more than the sum of its parts" kind of thing....emergent systems.

Anyway...aside from that...I get to go play some free games of lasertag this week..lol...and...I'm gonna be part of a team of about...20 or so to built a remote operated vehicle that operates underwater for an international challenge....haha. Yep...just bombarding myself with stuff to do.

Oh yeah...and I'm building an ekg ...just for fun..nothing fancy. Need to write a simple code to display it...and get something to connect it to my comp....but yep...this way I can watch my own heartbeat. I don't really know why I'm doing this...just totally for my own interest I guess lol. I'm thinking of just...doing a lot of little projects like this. Once I think of enough that are easy to do...I'm gonna suggest it as an outreach program to high schools for our engineering dept. =)

Hope your week goes well...tell me about it sometime =P

1 comment:

tattered silk said...

send me the pictures of your yearbook when you can :)